The sole gateway into the old Medieval town is accessed from Piazza Antonio Ricca. A double staircase leads up to it. In the centre is a round monument made of rock and bricks, known as il seggio or il tondo. The original ancient gateway, named il Rivellino, was demolished in 1872. Once inside the old town there is a maze of narrow winding streets and alleyways, hidden courtyards and little piazzettas.