Churches of Maranola
Church of Santa Maria dei Martiri
The beautiful church dedicated to Santa Maria dei Martiri is of a Romanesque / Gothic style with a bell tower. The interior is decorated in an ornate Baroque style. The main altar dates from the 16th century and there are baroque side altars dedicated to the Addolorata, San Sebastiano, San Biagio. Visible are the remains of numerous frescoes dating from the 14th and 15th centuries. The church also houses some beautiful canvases, ancient wooden statues and an 18th century pipe organ.
At Christmas-time there is a charming display of a nativity scene with hand-made terracotta figurines which date back to the 16th century.
Church of San Luca Evangelista
Climbing up through the village you will arrive at the Caetani tower. Nearby is the Chiesa di San Luca Evangelista, who is one of the town’s patron saints. It houses a statue of Saint Luke which dates from 1700. The church is decorated in a Baroque style. A side chapel dedicated to il Corpo di Cristo. In the sacristy there is a fresco representing a Madonna with Child and Pomegranate. In the crypt there are a number of ancient frescoes of the Madonne del Latte. The church has a beautiful bronze door, consisting of 16 panels, which is called the Gate of Peace. It was created by a local sculptor, Gerardo De Meo, and was installed in 1989.
In the adjacent square there is a bronze statue of San Giuseppe and the Madonna and Child.
Church of the Annunziata
The Chiesa della Annunziata is situated outside the town walls and is in a Gothic style with a 19th-century brick bell tower. The lunette above the main entrance door is decorated by a work of the painter Antonio Sicurezza depicting the Annunciation, which replace an ancient fresco.
The interior of the church consists of a single aisle. The central altar is dominated by a 15th century triptych by the Napolitan artist Angelillo Arcucci. It represents the Madonna and Child seated on a Throne with a between the Saints Francis of Assisi and St Anthony of Padua. On the side walls are frescoes depicting St Catherine of Alexandria, and the Annunziata with Sant’Antonio Abate. Beside the church is the Chapel of Sant’Antonio, the remains of a 14th century Franciscan convent built by the Onorato Caetani I.
Church of San Rocco
On the outskirts of Maranola there is also the Chiesetta di San Rocco which dates from 1474. It has a 16th century triptych depicting the Madonna between Saints Rocco and Sebastiano and remains of a fresco on the lunette.